GREG MBAJIORGU, exponent of solo and ecological theatre, is the First African to publish a monodrama and a seminal drama on climate change. His eco-drama Wake Up Everyone won the first prize for arts and humanities Research at the2012 National Universities Research and Development Fair (NURESDEF) organized by the National Universities Commission (NUC). From 1991 to 2000 during his self-sponsored historic national tour with his one-man show (The Prime Minister’s Son), Mbajiorgu recorded over six hundred successful performances in universities, secondary schools, Army Barracks, Cultural centers and several other Educational institutions across Nigeria and beyond. As a Theatre Artist and professional interested in innovation and challenging assignments, Mbajiorgu has executed the following professional Theatre contracts/duties in the last two decades.
1. The Lion on Exit (1992), a send-off play commissioned by the Governing Council of the University of Nigeria as part of the activities marking the last days of Prof. Chimere Ikoku as vice Chancellor
2. The lion of Lions (1996) a solo documentary drama with background chorus- Based on the poems and the speeches of RT. Hon. Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe, First President of Nigeria and founder of the University of Nigeria.
3. Wota na Wota- a water conflict resolution drama (2003) commissioned by OEP/JDP Water programme, Enugu, with funding from MISEREO, Germany. Premiered in 2008 at the New Arts Theatre UNN during the National Universities Game (NUGA).
4. Trial of the Fitest (2007) written for the end of year retreat of the African Institute for Applied Economics (AIAE). Performed at the Bridge Water Hotel, Enugu.
5. Keep The Dream Alive (2008) written for AIAE 2008 retreat and Performed at the Bridge Water Hotel, Enugu.
6. Beyond The Golden Prize (Miniaturized Version) written for the 10th Anniversary of Seat of Wisdom Secondary School, Enugu.
7. Wake Up Everyone (brief version) 2009, commissioned by ATPS, Nairobi, Kenya, for their International Conference on Climate Change,which held at Nicon Luxury Hotel Abuja.
8. Toward a New Dawn (2010) Commissioned by Presidential Task Force on Power and Performed at the Presidential Banquet Hall, Aso Rock Villa Abuja for the 2010 Power Stake Holders Forum.
9. United against Climate Change (2011) Commissioned by the University of Nigeria’s African Climate Change Adaptation Initiative (ACCAI, UNN), Performed at Princess Alexandra Auditorium, UNN (2011).
10. Mbajiorgu was also appointed the Official Dramatis for the Innovation prize for Africa (IPA) by the African Innovation Foundation, Switzerland during which he wrote and produced Dancers from Africa with Benedict Bine Bai. The Pro-Innovation drama was performed during the Award Ceremony at Ibeto Hotels Abuja in May, 2014.
11. Appointed member of the Educational Advisory Council of UNNESCO Club for Global Education by the Board of Directors for UNNESCO Club for Global Education.
12. Wake Up Every one (2014 Edition) was staged on the 23rd January 2014 as special command performance for the 44th Convocation Ceremony of University of Nigeria Nsukka and as reception drama for the visitor and the Minister for Education Mallam Ibrahim Shekarau.
13. Appointed Adjudicator 23rd and 24th Edition of National Festival of Arts and Culture (NAFEST).
Greg Mbajiorgu who hails Ihiala in Anambra State, is a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Theatre and Film Studies UNN, He is the editor of four scholarly Books including a recent one on J.P Clark, co-edited with Sonny Ododo. (Song of Gold: fresh perspectives on Clark).
Mbajiorgu is married to Imelda Chineze Mbajiorgu (Nee Anakudo) and they are blessed with three children.
1.2005 most innovative creative artist award Department of English and Literally Studies, UNN.
2.2012 First position Individual Award in Arts and Humanities (Research) Awarded by the National Universities Commission (NUC).
3. 2013 Anambra Literary Stars Award Awarded By Nigerian Book Foundation.
4.2013 Archivers Award. Awarded By the Society of Nigerian Theatre Artists.
5. 2009 Golden Pen Award. Awarded by Association of Nigerian Authors, Imo State Chapter.
6. Award of Excellence in Arts, and Distinction in Solo performance Art by The Nigerian Turkish Nile University, Abuja.
CONFERENCE IN HONOR OF GREG MBAJIORGU
The Nigerian Turkish Nile University, Abuja in 2014 during Mbajiorgu’s sabbatical leave at the University, hosted a conference in honour of Mbajiorgu, celebrating 48 years of Solo performing Arts in Nigeria
Published Plays by Greg Mbajiorgu
1. Hands of Fate Snaap press Ltd Enugu 2000
2. wota na wota Snaap press Ltd Enugu 20033. The Prime Minister’s Son (monodrama) second edition Kraft Books Ltd 2011
4. Beyond the Golden Prize (school drama) Kraft Books Ltd 2013
5. Wake up Everyone (latest edition) Palace press Ltd Abuja 2014
1. Towards a New Dawn
2. Who Bears the Blame?
3. Keep the Dream Alive
4. Trial of the Fittest
5. Dancers from Africa
6.The Blind Man and the Whirl wind
COMMAND PERFORMANCE OF GREG MBAJIORGU’S WAKE UP EVERYONE FOR THE RECEPTION OF THE MINISTER FOR EDUCATION DURING THE 44TH CONVOCATION CEREMONY OF THE UNICVERSITY OF NIGERIA NSUKKA ON 23RD JANUARY 2015.